Photographs: David Curtis
The Kaikoura District Council is the first local authority in the world, and the second community in the world, to achieve Green Globe certification in recognition of their commitment to protecting the environment and working towards sustainability for residents and visitors, and for the generations to come.
In 1770 Captain Cook first discovered the Kaikoura peninsula, believing it to be an island. The first shore whaling station was established in 1843. Whale numbers steadily declined after 1850, leading whalers to turn to alternative means of existence, such as farming. Whaling continued sporadically until as recently as 1964 when the last of New Zealand' s whaling operations ceased.
In 1978, the Marine Mammal Protection Act was finally passed, providing total protection to New Zealand's whales, dolphins and seals. Today Kaikoura lies in the Southern Hemisphere Whale Sanctuary.
|(page last updated 17 May 2007)|
|web diva: Narena Olliver, new zealand birds limited , Greytown, New Zealand. 2006|
|home||store||birds||more||birding||accommodation||birding sites||check list||field guides||exhibitions||maps||tours/guides||search|